Reviews by INVITED Members
Worldwide 24/7 Support
- Currency: Córdoba (in C$10, C$20, C$50, C$100, C$200 and C$500 notes).
- Public holidays: 14 and 15 September, 2 November, 8 and 25 December, 1 January, 2 April, 1 May, 19 July.
- Cuisine: Serving up something soulful – beans, rice, chicken, beef and pork are some of the staples.
- Tipping etiquette: It’s not expected, but it’s polite to leave a 10-15% tip.
- Transport: Renting a car is the best way to explore the sights and travel from one beach to the next.
WHEN TO GO
Like much of Central America, Nicaragua is defined by two seasons. The summer (December to April) is when the country is at its warmest and driest. The winter (May to November) is known as the ‘rainy season’, but along the coast this is often just a short, sharp downpour in the afternoon. It’s also one of the quietest times to visit and – if you’re lucky – you could have the beach all to yourself.