Information SLH collects from you
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small text file that is sent to, and stored on, your computer, smartphone, tablet or other device when you visit a website, such as slh.com, or use an app.
Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise whether a user has visited it before and, if so, to optimise the user’s experience.
The information we collect from cookies allows us to profile visitors to our website and can help us provide them with a better experience. For example, if they have previously looked at a particular hotel we store this information in a cookie and provide details of special offers and rates for that hotel on subsequent visits. Cookies can also record your selected preferences (such as currency) which we then use to tailor the website and the booking process for you.
The Cookies we set
We use a number of cookies and cookie types on our site,
Account related cookie
Login related cookies
Orders processing related cookies
This site offers e-commerce or payment facilities and some cookies are essential to ensure that your order is remembered between pages so that we can process it properly.
Forms related cookies
When you submit data to through a form such as those found on contact pages or comment forms cookies may be set to remember your user details for future correspondence.
Site preferences cookies
In order to provide you with a great experience on this site we provide the functionality to set your preferences for how this site runs when you use it. In order to remember your preferences we need to set cookies so that this information can be called whenever you interact with a page is affected by your preferences.
Cookies used on SLH pages
This is a list of the cookies used across the slh.com website (desktop, iPad, mobile versions and app) and what they are used for:
- ARPT – used to route your requests to one of the slh.com servers. This cookie is deleted each time you close your web browser
- ASP.NET_SessionId – used to uniquely identify you as a user in between page loads, allowing us to remember settings you may have made. This cookie is deleted each time you close your web browser.
- SearchWidget – used to remember your hotel search settings – so we can find hotel rooms that match your given requirements across multiple page loads.
- PriceCurrency – used to remember your selected currency – so we can show you hotel prices in that currency.
- LanguageSelector – used to remember your preferred language – so we can forward you to the correct version of our content.
- RecentlyViewed – used to store a list of any hotels you have looked at recently – so we can show you a list of hotels you have viewed.
- RememberMe – used to remember your Club membership number – so you don’t have to type it in when you want to log in to the Club.
- Resolution – used when viewing our mobile site (slh.com/m) – so we can send images which are the best match to your screen size.
- MobileToggle – used to prevent mobile devices from being redirected to the mobile version of our site – so that you can choose to view our fill site instead.
- .EPiServerLogin – used to allow you to log in to the Club member area of the site.
- .ASPXROLES – used to identify the permissions that your Club member account has.
Third Party Cookies
SLH uses a number of suppliers who also set cookies when the SLH website and apps are used in order to deliver additional information and data about how people use our website. Our partners use this data on our behalf to allow us to optimise our pages, deliver the services we want them to provide and deliver personalised content to our users. If you would like more information about the cookies used by these suppliers, as well as information on how to opt-out from them, please see their individual privacy policies listed below:
- Google (_utma, _utmb, _utmc, _utmz) – used for Google Analytics. This measures visitor behaviour and usage patterns, such as the time spent on site, number of visits or pages viewed during a visit. All information is anonymous and reports always show aggregate, not individual, data. More information is available at http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html
- The Search Agency (tsa1v808, tsa1s808, tsa1v808, tsa1s808) – used for The Search Agency’s AdMax tool. This tracks visits and orders when a user has arrived on our site from a paid search advert (eg. Google Adwords) and allows us to improve our search marketing campaigns.
- Struq pref – used for Struq’s Personalised Display. This allows you to receive personalised adverts based on the hotels you have viewed on the SLH site. Each advert contains an opt-out button allowing you to opt-out. More information is available at http://struq.com/consumer-opt-out/
- AddThis (xtc, utc) – used for AddThis share functionality. This collects data to personalise your sharing experience and provides analytics to help discover what content is being shared. More information is available at http://www.addthis.com/privacy-policy/
How you can manage your SLH cookies
The browsers of most computers, smartphones and other web-enabled devices are typically set up to accept cookies. If you wish to amend your cookie preferences for the SLH website, or any other website, you can do this through your browser settings. Your browser’s Help function will tell you how to do this but it usually involves going to the Privacy & Security section in Settings and selecting the option to disable or block the cookies you want to remove.
However, please remember that if you decline our cookies will not be able to take full advantage of certain personalised features that the SLH website offers.
More about your privacy